Frequently Asked Questions
- WHY THE NAME PUELCHE? HOW IS IT PRONOUNCED?
We have close ties to southern Chile and a Puelche is a hot dry wind that blows from Argentina over the Andes at times in the summer. It is pronounced Pwel-chay.
- WHAT KIND OF HEATER IS USED?
The heaters are a PTC heater which have an inherent characteristic of self-limiting the element's temperature. It does not glow warm and will not ignite paper in direct contact with it. A thermal switch is also included to limit the air temperature at the heater to 50C (122F) to avoid damage to shoes and boots. Typically, as the air cools some as it moves thru the dryer the temperature drops a few degrees to about 45C (110F). If a higher temperature is needed for a special application, this switch can be modified.
- WHY LIMIT THE AIR TEMPERATURE TO 122 DEG F?
50C (122 F) is typically the highest temperature recommended for high end ski boots to avoid damaging the form fitted foam and plastics. If a different temperature is required, a different max temp switch can be provided.
- WHAT IS THE AIR FLOW IN EACH PEG?
Unlike competitors' dryers, the warm air is only directed to the pegs that are in use. Because of this, the airflow changes. Fans have been selected to provide about 10 cuft / min per peg minimum with all pegs in use. With fewer pegs in use, the air flow is greater.
- HOW IS THE AIR SHUT OFF TO THE CLOSED PEGS?
A proprietary valve is incorporated into the hinge of the peg that closes when the peg is closed.
- WHAT HAPPENS IF ALL THE PEGS ARE CLOSED AND THE FAN AND HEATER ARE ON?
Not much happens. The temperature switch will still control the temperature. There may be a bit more noise as the air tries to escape thru the closed valves.
- WHAT IS NORMAL DRYING TIME?
A soaked boot will normally dry in about 4 hours. Normally damp boots will be less of course.
- IF FEWER PEGS ARE OPEN WILL BOOTS DRY FASTER?
Yes. There will be more air flow to the pegs in use if fewer pegs are open.
- CAN I GET THE FACE PLATE AND PEGS MADE OF TITANIUM?
Yep! Be the first in town to have a titanium Puelche which is lighter, but harder to work with so it costs more.
- CAN I FIND A LOCAL DEALER OR MAKE A TRIAL?
We can address special requests.
- CAN I GET A UNIT WITH MORE THAN 4 PAIRS?
Yes, we have 7 pair as a standard model and 10 pair + custom designs are available.
- CAN I CONVERT A WALL MOUNT STYLE TO INSET INTO A WALL OR VICE VERSA?
A shallow cabinet can be made for an In-The-Wall unit but an On-The-Wall cant easily be modified to go in the wall.
- CAN I GET DIFFERENT VOLTAGE UNIT?
Give us a call if needed.
- CAN I GET DIFFERENT ELECTRIC PLUGS?
Give us a call if needed.
- WHAT ELECTRICAL CERTIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN OBTAINED?
Fans are CE certified. Heaters, and timers are UL certified.
- CAN I GET DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS OF DRYERS?
We can make custom dryers per your requirements.
- CAN I BUY JUST THE PEGS AND PUT IN MY OWN FAN AND HEATER SYSTEM?
Yes. Purchasing just the pockets and pegs will allow you to design your own system and configuration. Give us a call to discuss your design.
- CAN I GET DIFFERENT LENGTH PEGS?
At present all pegs are the same length of 10.5 inches (265mm ) Shorter pegs with more holes provide excellent drying for gloves.
- WHAT IS THE WARRANTY?
Mechanical parts are warrantied for 2 years and electric parts for 1 year
- CAN I BE A DEALER?
Give us a call to discuss
- DO I HAVE TO PAY SALES TAX?
We believe paying sales tax is important because it supports our communities but if you are outside of New York State sales tax does not apply.
- DO YOU SHIP OUTSIDE OF NORTH AMERICA?
This can be done if required but costs can be high
- HOW NOISY IS THE FAN?
It is about 50 decibels but that is hard to quantify. Think of a quiet hotel room heater and it is a bit quieter than that.
- CAN I GET IT PAINTED?
Tell us what you require and it can be customized.
- CAN I GET A LOGO, GRAPHICS, OR PHOTO ON THE FACE?
This can be done if copyright issues don't interfere.
- OTHER QUESTIONS????
Call us up!!!